Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
pwk5017
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104270
What I Drive: 2012 5sp Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 pwk5017 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking at 2012 focus hatchbacks

Looking for my first car purchase(recent college grad). Im interested in a focus hatchback with a manual--current car is a stick and theres no going back--but i am having a heck of a time finding manual transmissions. At first, I was thinking a used one with 20-30k miles would be perfect, but now I am seriously questioning if I am going to be able to find the right one in the next few months(still have yet to see a manual pop up). With this in mind, I have begun to reconsider a new 2012. A local dealer has a hatchback SE with a manual, so I am coming to you guys to get the collective opinion on what a good price is. 21k is absurd, 2k off that is better, but still way high for a base hatchback with a manual transmission. I am eligible for x-plan, so that would get me down to 18k, but I still am not comfortable with this number for that car. With there being 4 days left on the 2k incentive, i smell blood in the water and feel like i might be able to get a good deal on the car i want. I think 17k is a good price on a 2012. Is it realistic to negotiate 4k off the msrp? Truecar has the same options etc. in my area coming in at 17,400. Add tax onto that and you are still looking at a sizable chunk of change. I dont want to be a jerk about the process/deal, but i also dont want to fork over a year's worth of savings unnecessarily. What is the position of the dealer at this moment in time sitting on a 2012 manual? Are they desperate and willing to come down considerably? Finally, what are some tactics for sweetening the deal for the dealership? I can most likely afford a hefty down payment of 7-9k, does this make a difference to them, or would they prefer you to finance through them? Sorry for the long post, but i am pumped about this process and wanna do it right the first time through.

Patrick