Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - This may sound crazy...
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
Because if even one single piece of sand, dirt, gravel, etc gets caught under that blade you drag it ALL the way across the paint.

The point of drying (blotting, not rubbing) with microfiber is that if, god forbid, there is a piece of sand, the pile of the MF picks it up and buries it in the pile before it can do any damage.

Chamois and 'The Absorber' synthetic chamois would have the same problem as a 'water blade' except you're not dragging them across the surface so the possibility of damage is minimal.

Fell free to use it yourself. I'm not trying to stop you. I'm just explaining what could possibly happen in case people are weighing the pros and cons of each way for themselves.
I had a similar theoretical concern. But after using one for years on my daily driver's and my wife's cars, it hasn't happened yet that i have noticed. None of these cars has perfect paint.

I had a similar concern about claybar, it's just going to drag the crap across the paint. I have seen pictures of people that did it wrong and it looked like they sanded their car. Maybe they dropped it on the ground and reused it?

The silicone blade has a lip on it, it it shearing across the surface and not prone to trapping anything that meets it's leading edge. It also creates an impressive wave of water, maybe the particles are "swimming around" in the water rather than getting pinched between the silicone blade and the paint.

Maybe one of these days I'll leave a big scratch using it, we'll see.