Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Having some issues, hoping for help.
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That sounds like motor mount + some exhaust hangers that are probably going out. Motor mounts are a big thing with all old cars, and most people just assume that the engine is running badly. With the Focus, we have 3 mounts. Unfortunately for you, you have a Duratec engine, so you get the more expensive front mount. We have some online sources that can save you some money on parts as compared to a parts store, but the most important thing is that the mounts must be installed correctly. If the motor ends up being out of alignment, the mounts will fail in short order. The reason I keep writing "mounts" instead of mount, is that with your mileage and age, you should probably replace all 3 mounts instead of just one. All parts stores sell Anchor brand motor mounts, and if you look through this site you'll see people recommending that you purchase an Motorcraft front engine mount instead of the Anchor mount. Some people have not had luck with the Anchor mounts, and some have. Using RockAuto.com, and our discount code found in Vendor Deals, Group Buys, and Special Discounts- you can purchase all 3 Anchor mounts cheaper than you can purchase one front mount from the parts store. Put in your car's info, and look for Motor mount, Transmission mount, and torque-strut mount. Unfortunately, the Motorcraft mount will only be available from a dealer. We have a dealer in WI who works with us for some special pricing, but it's still more expensive than Anchor mounts. Search for Tousley Ford online, call their parts dept, ask for Steve, then mention that you heard about them on Focus Fanatics. If you decide to get all 3 mounts from Steve, the torque-strut mount (also known as lower dogbone mount) will come with a new bracket that the Anchor mount doesn't come with. The brackets rarely crack and break, but it is possible.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.