View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
focusbrad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103194
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black s model standard

FF Reputation: 1 focusbrad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Okay, I also looked into this issue with the standard trans and remote start. I don t know about legality, but I learned that most places just flat out will not install remote starts on stick shifts because of liability reasons. There seems to be two reasons:1) the neutral switch (clutch has to be in to start car), and 2) gearing (the shift lever must be left in neutral otherwise the car would move when you started it with the remote). This also means that the car must have a good working e-brake.
So long story short, the installer would have to disable the neutral switch (which would make regular starts dangerous if the car was left in gear and the key was turned with the clutch still out), then install the system, make sure the car has a working e-brake and then try to convince the customer to ALWAYS leave the car in neutral and ALWAYS set the e-brake. Then they would have to tell the customer that they would have to make sure that kids never got a hold of the keys or play in the car or the consequences could be deadly.I can't see any businesser taking on that kind of liability. Unless there is another simple way to do it, seems not worth it to me, but I have kids. I know what the guy above said, maybe that could work. That's what I was told by a few local places that do this kind of work.hope this helps.