Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - juddering and sluggish
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
SE2002
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103304
What I Drive: 2002 SE

FF Reputation: 1 SE2002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm assuming the car is automatic transm.
if the car takes off very sluggish or comes to a stop bucking, take the car for a drive, turn radio off make sure you are alone at the street you will be using.
pay extra attention to the transmission shifting to all gears.
so if you have a 4sp auto you should feel the tranny shift 3 times from a dead stop.

test your OD button if equipped, you should feel the change in rpms as you press and depress the OD button(shifter small button) once you've reached cruising speeds.

now that the car is cruising let the car come to a slow speed and try to feel the tranny downshift from the last gear to 1st. if the car downshifts 3 times with at 4sp+od something is wrong.

worse case scenario you can't sense the car downshift, in that case invest $70 and about 2 hrs and bring the car to a transmission shop. they will test the transmission in about 1 to 2 hrs.

if the car is manual tranny have the catalytic converter inspected. it will not hurt to do it even it it is automatic transm. as well.

gl