Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - mix all season tires with performance tires?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
mix all season tires with performance tires?

I've got Eagle GT's on my ZX3, and now the rears have succumbed to the infamous Focus cupping problem. I've got the suspension problems fixed and so the next thing to buy are two new tires. I've never been thrilled with Eagle GT snow handling, and am willing to try a set of truly all-season tires (maybe Continental DWS), with the understanding that I won't see their full benefit since I'm only putting them on half of the car.

Tire stores, of course, want to upsell every customer with four new tires. A couple places used scare tactics, telling me "Don't mix performance and all-season tires!", saying that it's gonna wreck the car's handling with Eagle's on the front and all-season's in back (or vice versa), implying that it's gonna cause an accident.

Is there any merit to that? As far as dry conditions go, I know they're full of BS. But, I'm concerned about how it might affect stopping and steering on rain, snow, and ice.