Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Plasti Dip Help? (Interior)
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
glassjoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100474
What I Drive: 2009 Red Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 glassjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Plasti Dip Help? (Interior)

Okay, so I have some really long story about what happened, but I'll spare you the details.

In short:
  • Dipped my friend's wheels, looked great, still do a week later. About 7 mins between coats.
  • Dipped my chrome grille piece on my '09 Focus, looks great, still does. About 7 mins between coats.
  • Attempted to dip my center console (the silver part with the drink holders), didn't turn out well. About 5 mins between coats.

I'm guessing that it's just because I was rushed for time and I didn't have time for it to cure since this was done at my friend's house late at night and only gave it an hour. The stuff had a felt-like texture to it, and it was not hard (not even after 12 hours) as the wheels and grille were shortly after painting. It took well over an hour to peel the weak coating off.

Should I prep the plastic piece before I repaint? If yes, what with? Also, is 30 mins between coats sufficient? How many coats do you suggest? Thank you.