suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestout View Post
where are drums trapping water?? I've never taken a set of drum brakes apart that have had water in them, i've also never had the corrosion issues with drums like I have with disks. You actually had water in your drum brakes when you took them apart??
I've had corroded brake shoe mounting hardware and springs both on my cars in the past, as well as when I had to help change the drums on my brother's 2003 Taurus. All the hardware was corroded much worse than any set of calipers I've ever seen in my life.

That's evidence that water and other road debris were jammed inside the drum for long enough to corrode it badly. It also froze up the star wheel on at least the one side, but likely on both sides. Also the rust was so bad on the side where the drum was completely shot that the car wasn't really that stable on the jack stands, so rather than change the worse side I had to button the car back up before it fell on me.

Was there standing water? Not that I recall, but the springs that held the shoes on were badly rusted, as well as the springs that hold the shoes together and locked to the self adjuster mechanism were badly corroded.

The pistons and brake pads usually have held up better in my previous experiences. I strongly dislike working on drum brakes, let alone driving with them.