Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Pro-Clip Phone Mount
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #63
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusbrad View Post
Hey there I have a thought or two here. To me the whole idea of mounting your phone or whatever is to minimize the amount of time and distance your eyes must move off the road to view your device. Keeping this in mind what I have been doing is I got one of those $15-20 window suction cup jobs with the long moveable skinny arm. I stick the suction cup up behind the rearview mirror on the windshield so it's not in the way, then I bend the flexible arm so that when I slide my phone in it is sitting just under my rearview mirror and to the left. While I'm driving and navigating, I only need to move my eyes a few inches from the road to look at my device. I also plug the phone into the glove box so I can talk on the phone hands free if I need to. This setup works very well for me and maximises safety because my eyes barely leave the road. It does block your view under the mirror but if I'm not using the phone for nav, then I just bend it up out of the way.
In many states, having ANYTHING attached to your windshield except the rearview mirror is illegal. I know many do it anyways, but I try to eliminate any probable cause beforehand. An obstructed windshield is a primary, they can pull you over for it w/o any other violation taking place.

I also am not fond of suction cup mounts. And, finally, I just like to have a solution that is more permanent then a suction cup mount and a dangling cord. That cord would distract me more then having the device mounted just below my eyeline at the radio.

If we all liked the same thing, we would still be driving black Model A Ford's. Your solution works for you, mine works for me
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D