Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Could one of you park a little better?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,442, Level 65
Points: 9,442, Level: 65 Points: 9,442, Level: 65 Points: 9,442, Level: 65
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Who parks their manual car in neutral, though? That's a horribly bad idea.
I know of people who did and only relied on the hand brake, but I haven't really seen or heard from them since college/ university. My old manual had the hand brake cables broken off at the drum or some place along there so I always left it in first gear, well usually, once when I was first learning I left it in third accidentally on a slight slope, but because the wheels were pointed towards the curb it didn't get very far. That only ever happened once, but even that would be more than enough to remind myself never to leave the car in any gear other than first or reverse as those have the most torque multiplication and the greatest resistance to rolling without power applied to the car. Even with the dct my routine when parking now is to stop the car, foot on the brake, put it into park and pull the hand brake before releasing the service brake pedal and shutting the car off. The car complains its not in park if you reverse the steps and pull the hand brake with your foot on the brake (at zero miles per hour) before putting the weight on the parking pawl/ gear.