Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2003 ZX5 Sudden loss of power, no codes, timing problem?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
stephens
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 69871
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 stephens Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 ZX5 Sudden loss of power, no codes, timing problem?

I was driving along and all of a sudden the car loses power and won't rev over about 3,000 rpm. No warning lights and it wasn't overheating so I babied it home and it would barely make it to at a max speed of about 30mph.

I plugged in my reader and it doesn't return any codes at all! I thought maybe the cat was clogged really bad or something so this morning I took it by a local shop that also does exhaust and he says exhaust tests fine, fuel pressure 44psi, Baro sensor 136hz, and his reader wouldn't bring up any codes either. He suspects the timing is really retarded and/or isn't advancing and this makes sense for the symptoms I guess. Timing belt and tensioner were changed 7,000 miles ago and belt looks fine and tight when I peak under the cover (stupid that you can't remove the inspection cover without removing the motor mount!!)

Another symptom is harder than usual brakes but mechanic said this lack of vacuum could also be because of the timing. (Hmm...)

So...did timing belt jump somehow? Is Ecu faulty? Or some other part that controls ignition timing/advance? And all of this happened without any codes being recorded?

I've got the car back home now and have the battery unplugged now on the off chance that the Ecu will reset itself.

I searched and read some older threads but can't find this exact scenario. Little help? Thanks.