Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2.5d engine swap
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #35
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
He is where I am on the 2.5d Installation

What I expect from this engine swap is a nice drivable engine package with a substantial improvement in HP and torque. This is a daily driver with SVT suspension and 17” in wheels. Its fun to drive as is but a little more scoot would be very nice. It is also getting much harder to find a low mileage 2.3d so the price of 2.5 shouldn’t be much higher. Yes cost is a big issue on this update!

The issues with this installation appear to be as follows:
1) I plan using my existing MTX75 so the rear mounts should work as is. It may be worth while to put a lower poly mount in to help with engine roll but I will try the production mount first. The flywheel will be c/o 2.0l with an upgraded 2.3 clutch (I am pretty easy on clutches). The 2.5d front mount bracket is different but I should be able to use the 2.0d mount and a spacer to match the deck height change.
2) Some tape measurements of my wife’s 2.5d Escape intake manifold indicates that manifold should package in the Focus but the TB is a drive by wire. I would have to use a cable operated TB and this might require an adapter.
3) The cam position sensor (CMP) in the 2.5d will not work with my processor. Since the engine seems to run fine without it I could leave it disconnected but would not have a MIL function. Someone had responded in a separate post that the later D engine CMP sensor provided four signals per RPM while the 2005 only provided one. If there were 4 slots or bumps on the intake cam to provide a signal could 3 of those be removed or filled in?
4) The current plan is to let the computer continue to think it is a 2.0d and compensate for air fuel ratio with a tune. This means that I would have to use the 2.0d crank sensor, throttle position sensor, and MAF and EGOs. The VVT control will be deactivated and simply not connected. I have to find out what the default position for the cams is with the VVT off. I may look it some way to mechanically lock them in a best compromise position. Using the c/o MAF will certainly affect the HP and torque but low and mid throttle performance should be pretty good. A MAF upgrade would be first on the plate for upgrades and it would possible to install the complete 2.5d intake setup from the Escape by putting the battery in the back but the electronics implications could be very significant.
5) The exhaust manifold looks like it would package without a problem but the pipe diameter is larger and would require an all new exhaust system. One of the aftermarket Focus systems (2 in) should work fine.

I have been using the Escape as a reference simply because of convenience. I do need to spend some time with a Fusion to see if those parts will work better. The Fusion engine is listed with about 4 additional HP.

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Village T