Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
There really isn't any "budget" competition tires. These tend to be serious tires and cost serious dollars. Right now would be a good time to be checking for used tires. Check local SCCA and NASA web sites. Many track guys will be selling this years tires as they don't want to store them. Most of the major tire makers have race tires in 15" diameter as well. Here's a few:
Kumho v710, BFG Gforce R-1 and R-1s, Hankook Ventue z214, Hoosier A6 and R6, Toyo Proxes R888, RA1 and Yoko Advan A048
All of these are available from the Tirerack.
I get what you're saying. Let me explain budget. I know rubber is rubber, and I think there are good options for $600 for the set. What gets ridiculous is the rim setup and I don't want to spend a gazillion dollars on those. Is it wrong to think that I could spend a $1k on rims and tires for the track? Again, my goal isn't competition - I want to be able to drive on a track in a spirited manner and not destroy otherwise decent tires. I figure a couple of days on a standard set of all-season would have the tread destroyed and not performing consistently. A couple of days on a track tire won't be as detrimental when that's the purpose. From what I have seen, the DOT/Competition tires aren't any more expensive than a qualify all-season. Those Hanhooks on a 15" rim are 150/each.

Does that make sense?

Further, and this is where my ignorance comes through, I am nervous about mismatching rims and tires. How do I figure out what rims will fit on the car (if I shop outside of Tire Rack), and what size tires will fit on what rims? I get the diameter thing, but the first 2 number grouping is what loses me. I also know that a 17" rim can have a lot of different sidewall heights, but I am uncomfortable guessing what is a safe sidewall side to run.