Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Engine Mounts - Aftermarket any good? (i.e. westar, etc...)
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
bbradUSMC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103960
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX4 ST; Standard

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bbradUSMC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_telecom View Post
I would replace them all at the same time. (I dont know anything about a donut other than glazed and chocolate)These mounts work in concert and your only as strong as your weakest link. That is why the passenger side motor mount always fails because no one changes the Driver side upper trans mount (under the air box) and the dog bone (under the car mounting trans and frame together).

That Upper Trans mount is a terrible design as well. You can run an OEM mount if you want but at over $125 for just the passenger mount i Dunno, I got the Heavy Duty DEA version from Rock auto for like $50. All together I have about $100 - $125 invested in all 3 mounts.

To be honest I dont think the OEM part is that much better if at all better! You know the aftermarkets manufacture them for the OEM's. Ford does not make them, they are just an assembly and marketing house.

Rock auto has an anchor mount for $37 for your car, IF you want OEM add $100
They also have Anchor and DEA Torque Strut Mounts (lower trans mount) for $17-$24 and the Upper Trans Mount (drivers side) for $16.

Its up to you. Im taking my chances and seeing how they handle this winters pounding. And I tend to drive my cars hard. Ill take the risk and spend The $100 and see how they work out, They are easy enough to change, Took me about an hour.

in your scenario
Aftermarket= $77 + Shipping
OEM $300-$400

And I can say this enough! Change all 3!
Sweet I checked it out and you are right. So much cheaper than dealer. I have read good things about DEA as well. I will be changing the timing belt while I'm at it. Anyone got a write up for that lol?