Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Snow Tires Yes or No
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #48
Julian@TireRack.com
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 102247
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 2 Julian@TireRack.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

One other possibility is the posts are stuffed with Tire Rack employees posting as users to give the impression EVERYONE who lives in any snow area needs to buy snow tires. Certainly would get them more business..
Just for the record, I am the only Tire Rack employee here.....

Before working here I never thought about getting snow tires, front wheel drive was good enough right? Well our second day (it was in December) we were taken onto our test track to drive 2 cars back to back - one with one of the best all season tires (the DWS) and the other with the Blizzak WS70's. The DWS handled well but just like every other all season tire. When you turn, you sort of push or under steer, when you accelerate or brake the traction or ABS system kicks on. The track had several inches of snow on it that we were packing down, but when you jumped into the WS70 car and turned, guess what?!? The car actually turned! The rubber compounds and tread design do such a great job of ripping up and tearing at the snow that you get traction levels you're not used too. My family will never drive a winter on an all season tire again.

You can say it's a waste of time and money, you can say your summer only tires work just fine, everybody is entitled to say what they want to. I just know I would feel much safer in the winter if everybody drove on winter tires when the white stuff starts to fall.

By the way, Anybody here ever rented a car in Europe in the winter? Check out a rental website and act like you're booking a reservation in the winter. You'll notice a line that says "winter tires included" And we all know how much rental companies love throwing money away on extra tires they don't need.

Remember to reference Julian/Focus Fanatics in the "previous contacts" field to make sure the forum get's credit!