Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Focus Electric Owners!
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98139
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Electric

FF Reputation: 1 Spare Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"What is a typical range for you on a full charge?"

My typical range is 80 miles. After a complete recharge the battery gauge varies depending upon the three t's of your last driving experience. Terrain, Temperature and Technique. If I drive very carefully, which I don't, it will register 85-90 after recharging. Very zippy and in hot conditions I have had as low as 69. That being said - the Focus has an odd quirk. When you are driving you can gain miles from the original estimate of mileage. The lower the battery level the more bonus miles it gives you. For example, once per month, I have to drive 83 miles one way on my commute. I have had as low as 77 miles on the charge and I have driven this trip many times. When it starts to get down to 30 miles or less it seems to give more bonus miles. When I finished the trip I will have driven 83 miles and the guage has as much as 12 miles still left in the battery which means I could have driven 95 miles.

I really do not like this feature too much because I am very nervous when driving this commute of 83 miles when the battery doesn't register 83 miles of capacity. If I stall out one day I am going to be really pissss... I know this was a long answer, but it is not like a gas tank. It is an estimate of your available miles. In a nut shell I feel like I can safely drive around 85.

My normal commute is 40 miles one way and I charge at night, drive to work, plug in for the day, go out for lunch and drive home with plenty of battery capacity. At this point in time I have driven 6000 miles in the last three months. At $0.03 per mile it has cost me $180.00 in electricity. You know your own gassers mileage so do the math at $4.09 per gallon which is our current local price. It has saved me alot of money already and I really like the car. Perfect commuter car, great looks and snappy handling.