Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - End of the "Ranger" in North America.Good or bad news for Ford?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #84
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
I work in the industry, and form a numbers stand point stopping Ranger production made sense.

Do you have any idea on how easy it is to talk up somebody from a Ranger to a F-150? With f-150 discounts they where almost the same price as a ranger! Who wants a 30k Ranger when you can get a nice F-150 for 26k or 27k?

"But we city people who want a truck" you city people who want a truck make up such a small part of the market you don't matter. In addition there are many competition in your market segment you still have other options. Now you may be thinking "Why doesn't ford compete in the market" well one thing I learned in business is not every fight is worth fighting for. And the small truck market with it's razor thin margins is not worth the cost.

Now I think a long time ago (mid 2000s) Ford decided not to do no Ranger refreshes. Basically they would reproduce the same truck until sales dropped so low it was no longer profitable. Once they hit that point they cut it off they ran it dry and cut sales.

It takes resources to make a car, it takes production line, mgrs, factory workers, office people, etc. Also if you don't refresh a car every so often sales become stale. However refreshing a vehicle is not a cheap undertaking. Everything has to be tested, new suppliers gained, new production, new training, etc.

Now in a popular car like a Mustang or an F-150 sure the cost is worth it.

Now in years of selling cars I sold very few Rangers. Sure we got our minority who is a majority on this board but you guys are a super small fraction of their business. I think our best Ranger year was long ago.

O by the way the Expedition is going go the same way the Ranger did. It's only lasted longer because it's more profitable. I suspect the Navigator will disappear as well.

1999 230,000 Expeditions where sold
2012 we are expecting 35,000 expeditions to be sold.

A drop of 85%

In 1999 Ford sold 350,000 rangers
In 2011 they did 55,000

A drop of 85% i'm sure the Expedition is next on the chopping block.
In 1999 the economy was still good and people weren't paying nearly $4 a gallon for gasoline. In 2012 fuel economy has taken more of a priority in a decision on a new vehicle purchase and the country is still trying to recover from a recession.
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??