Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus is NOT holding value
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #105
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

Points 659, Level 13
Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyD View Post
I tend to keep cars for a long time, but there are just a few little comfort/convenience things about the Focus that annoy me. I bought a Ti sedan in January for $22,400, list of $26,500. It has only $3K miles on it, and last weekend I was offered $17k for it. NADA is $20,700.

I wasn't interested in taking a $5400+ loss, and I don't hate it enough to go through the trouble of selling it privately, so it looks like I'll have the Focus for the long term. I was surprised to see a $9500 depreciation from sticker, especially with only 3K miles. That said, these dealers are in business to make money and if they could have given me more they would have since it would have meant a new car sale for them.
NOBODY pays list or MSRP, so if you paid $22,400, and you can get $20,700 private party I don't see the problem. That's not much depreciation at all for a year old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
But one of the big things that makes the focus desirable is the nice bells and whistles you can add and still have an affordable car.

bingo! maybe the chronically discontent should stick to base models so they don't lose as much money but i plan to keep my car for the long haul and i like a few options. my SEL is well-appointed for a $20k car.
Exactly, I came from a high end car and if the Focus didn't have the bells and whistles I wouldn't have bought it.