Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Where are the 5-speeds????
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #101
gsrcrxsi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103577
What I Drive: not a Focus

FF Reputation: 1 gsrcrxsi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
She thinks car forums are "stupid" lol.

Cable shifter kind of seals the coffin. It's just never going to feel as notchy as precise as a mechanical linkage. Kind of like power steering vs manual, or DBW vs cable throttle. There are things that get lost in translation for the sake of comfort to the masses.

To be fair The linkage in the subie is mechanical. And I've added a STS and rather stiff poly shifter bushings to the equation. Hands down the best shifter I've felt so far. Everyone who drives my car seems to feel the same. The shifter is just rock solid tight with almost zero play in gear, even takes a bit of force to move it around in neutral. But with the focus it's just slop (even compared to the subie in stock form). Moving through the gears feels like you are just moving the shifter around without really knowing what gear your in or what's goin on at the transmission end. Kind of just feels like the shifter isn't connected to anything at all.

As far how she feels? She thinks it's fine I'm sure. She's coming from a Chevy cobalt. Equally light clutch.