hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
The 30 pin to Lightning adapter looks very large... are you sure that it doesn't perform an analogue to digital conversion within it? I think the whole point of the adapter is to make things work precisely as they did before... losing everything but the sound would be a pretty big oversight if that were true.

I think that's part of why it's huge, and quite pricey. Certainly not an adapter I'd want to deal with, but it's probably the best they could do.
It does perform an analog to digital conversion. That's not the problem. The problem is some models of cars (and some aftermarket headunits) do not use standard USB for their iPod and instead use a physical iPod connector (30pin). Those headunits also don't just "play music" through the connector, but rather use iPod Out or Video Out to do various things. BMW, for instance, mirrors the iPod view on the headunit and allows control of all of the functions of the iPod from the car controls. This type of functionality (using both iPod Out and Video Out) is not supported when using the adapter.

Of course it handles it digitally. This is the reason that when you plug in an iPod it displays the song information and allows browsing of the contents of the phone. It's the same as plugging in a USB stick -- it's all digital.

Not sure why you wrote in the second link...it pretty much explains my reply in detail. That part of the functionality doesn't affect our cars at all.