Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus is NOT holding value
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #74
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
I think people that don't buy and sell cars very often get way too fixated on the "trade in price" that the dealer "gives" you. The dealers do these trades hundreds of times per month and they are experts and manipulating you and your emotions. They often show large trade in values for your car, but screw you in the numbers on the new car, so their net is the same and you feel like you got a sweet deal. Now if you just wanted to bring your car in and sell it to them outright, without buying another car from them you'd be in for a rude awakening.
Yes and no. While I agree that the number they give you can be inflated, i don't agree on the manipulation of the numbers. Assuming you're getting a new car, you know the msrp, tax rates, fees, discounts, etc... the only number that better be changing on the offer sheets are the discounts or trade in. Plus, you have the advantage when you want to purchase.... they need/want to sell new cars. They don't really need your used car if you're not taking something off the lot, unless it is a used car only lot.

I guess my point before is that she got 2/3 of her original sale price. I dont think we could do that with the Focus 3 years down the road, but who knows. That's still 29 months away for me. I'd have to get around $13,500 ... and if kbb or nada are even close to right (around $15-15,500 currently), that's not going to happen.