Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - iPhone 5 & Sync
Thread: iPhone 5 & Sync
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
That's why they have the adapter being released. Those manufacturers will likely still retain the 30-pin integrated connector for the forseeable future since most people still have iPod classics, and there are now 5 generations of iPhones, 3 generations of iPads, countless generations of iPods, nanos, etc. that all utilize the 30 pin.

But Apple didn't forget about those integrated systems and granted you will have to drop $30 for the 30 pin to Lightning adapter, if you bought a BMW or a car with an integrated iPod cable chances are you can afford an adapter if you HAVE to have the iPhone 5.

I for one am excited about the lightning connector and the iPhone 5, I think an all digital signal will be great especially for those who want to use any peripherals down the line, such as the A/V adapter for those who wish to view content on an HDMI screen and don't have an Apple TV to use airplay with.

Not to mention the reversible connector is win, much like their MagSafe ports on the MacBooks... just a great, albeit small feature to include.
Incorrect. The Lightning-to-30pin adapter transfers audio, but does not support iPod Out. This means that any of the systems that utilize iPod Out and have a built-in iPod cable can not be supported.

Basically, this is BMW and Mini built-in systems. A vast majority of manufacturers that allow for iPod Out also just use a standard USB plug, which means you can plug a normal lightning cable into it. The reason it won't work with BMW/Mini is because they have a physical 30-pin plug hard-lined directly into the system -- there's no normal USB plug.

In those cases, there's nothing that can (currently) be done.