Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 5-Door tail lamp scratching body
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #135
nosmokingbandit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66954
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-Door, Candy Red

Points 984, Level 16
Points: 984, Level: 16 Points: 984, Level: 16 Points: 984, Level: 16
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 nosmokingbandit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So i'm kind of pissed...

I called my dealer and they set up an appointment to take pics of the paint to send to ford. The next day they called and told me they go the thumbs up from Ford so I can take my car to the body shop down the road and they'll take care of it. I find that the body shop wanted to repaint the whole panel, which seems incredibly stupid and wasteful. So I call my dealer back and the service guy said he can take care of the touch up in their shop and adjust the light fixture accordingly, I'd just have to leave it there all day so he can layer the touchup paint on and wet-sand it smooth several times. Great!

I drop it off wednesday (sept 5th) and pick it up the following evening. I don't have a chance to look at it until today (my mother had pretty serious neck surgery so I've been helper her out as much as possible). So today I go check it out. The paint looks kind of rough, but I'm not concerned about that, I just wanted it protected again. I notice the light assembly is still rubbing up against the paint. I guess the service guy didn't want to bother with that...

So I take the tail light off (which takes a little more force than the owner's manual implies) and I see that the service guy didn't even take the light off to touch up the paint. So not only did he half-ass fixing it, he completely ignored the cause of the problem. I put a washer on the metal pin that snaps into the body to space it out and now it doesn't rub. Took me more time to find a washer the right size than it did to actually install it.

I noticed that the damage is much worse than I initially thought, but of course the service guy didn't notice that because he was too lazy to take the light off of my car.

I'm really disappointed and really pissed. This is the first new car I've ever had, and consequently the only one with a warranty, and to have someone "fix" it like this is outrageous. I don't expect much from people, but I expect them to do their flipping job...

So all of that to get to this... If I take it to a different dealer than I bought it from, will they fix the problem that the first dealer didn't? I'm not familiar with warranty work at all, so I don't really know what the rules are for multiple fixes on the same problem.

And of course, the pics.
The pic with the tail light on the car is before it was "fixed"