Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Timing belt questions....
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84314
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Timing belt questions....

OK, first off I had the original t-belt changed around 85K miles, I currently have 136K. I don't remember having the pulleys changed out or not, but nearly 50K miles is hard on my memory. Fast forward to now, I have a terrible chirping sound coming from the engine area. It starts when I turn the car on, and is significantly more noticeable when the car is at a lower operating temperature. The sound seems to be coming from the left side of the motor, in the general area of the timing and serp assembly. The sound is definitely rpm dependent, and not wheel rotation dependent. The sound is present while driving the car and continues to be audible until the car has been running at proper operating temp for about 5 minutes, then subsides slightly. I do know for a fact that this sound is NOT a wheel bearing or wheel hub going bad. As I noted, the chirping starts when I turn the car on in my driveway, gear in neutral, e-brake engaged, not rolling or moving in any way. When I increase the rpm's the chirping gets faster. I am thinking that one of my pulley's is going bad, I don't know which one. Since the t-belt has proven to be problematic for some, and prone to premature failure, I will be replacing the t-belt assembly if the cause of this chirping is determined to be a bad pulley.

Now, my biggest question is this, I changed the water pump with an OEM unit when I did the t-belt @ 85k. The gasket on the pump was real bad and leaking fluid bad, so it got changed. Since I did it @ 85k, do I HAVE to change it again? My funds on this are extremely limited, and will be doing the install myself to save money, so any cost savings will go a long way.

Also, what parts exactly should I be ordering to do the t-belt & serp-belt? Timing belt, timing idler, timing tensioner, serpentine belt, serp idler, serp tensioner, and valve cover gasket?

Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.