Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - why no 6th gear?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #77
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Actually I'd say that's a completely irrational way to look at it. Did you ever take a statistics class? The Focus has substantially more transmission complaints than the other cars. Since the population sizes are roughly the same for several of the cars (Cruze, Elantra, etc.) that indicates statistically that the Focus has significantly more problemmatic transmissions than its competition.

I had DCT problems but never reported it to NHTSA. I'm confident there are many many others like me.

And like I said I removed any complaints about hill roll back and the like which I don't think is a valid complaint. That left only complaints about jerking, shuddering, severe bogging down, etc. Issues that were apparently bad enough that the owner took the time to find out where to post a complaint and then actually type out the complaint.

I completely agree, the DCT is not inherently flawed. I know that mine has performed perfectly in the past so I know it's possible. I think it's just that Ford is letting too many of them get too far off specs, probably mostly in terms of the software but clearly there are numerous hardware problems too. They need to keep perfecting it to make it bulletproof no matter what type of driver is driving it.
It took VW years before the DSG was where it is today and by extension where Audis S Stronic is today.

As much as I'd love for our DCT to work like the one in my friends S4, it won't. Not right away.

Time will tell if Ford can refine it to a point where they can confidently stick It in almost everything they sell. But even VW isnt throwing their DSG into every single model under the sun.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!