Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - why no 6th gear?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #76
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
Really? So let's look at it rationally. He says around 70% of 56 complaints seem to be DCT related. So roughly 39. There's been, what over 150,000 Focus sold in the USA up to July? Let's say around 70% are DCT, so around 112,500. So .034% cars have DCT issues to the point someone complains (and this is based on 2012 sales numbers I could find and the complaints figures could be from the start, so,this number could be high). I'd say that's a major issue? If someone could find the sales figure for the Velocitor the you could do a meaningful comparison. if the Focus is outselling it 10 to 1 then the chance of more people complaining is a lot higher.
Actually I'd say that's a completely irrational way to look at it. Did you ever take a statistics class? The Focus has substantially more transmission complaints than the other cars. Since the population sizes are roughly the same for several of the cars (Cruze, Elantra, etc.) that indicates statistically that the Focus has significantly more problemmatic transmissions than its competition.

I had DCT problems but never reported it to NHTSA. I'm confident there are many many others like me.

And like I said I removed any complaints about hill roll back and the like which I don't think is a valid complaint. That left only complaints about jerking, shuddering, severe bogging down, etc. Issues that were apparently bad enough that the owner took the time to find out where to post a complaint and then actually type out the complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Bad CSR service doesn't mean the product is bad.

If DCTs were actually this problematic, VW would've dropped them years ago and Ford would never have brought it over for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. Most of the "problems" seem to be primarily related to bad/inadequate service.

That being said, I have no reason to believe that the DCT is inherently a bad design.
I completely agree, the DCT is not inherently flawed. I know that mine has performed perfectly in the past so I know it's possible. I think it's just that Ford is letting too many of them get too far off specs, probably mostly in terms of the software but clearly there are numerous hardware problems too. They need to keep perfecting it to make it bulletproof no matter what type of driver is driving it.