Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - cam gear questions
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,451, Level 86
Points: 18,451, Level: 86 Points: 18,451, Level: 86 Points: 18,451, Level: 86
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsmasher View Post
im still lost on the whole how to actually tune them though. i mean i know you guys said to get them dyno tuned for best results.
what if i dont have a dyno to adj them correctly?
Then it'll be trial/error. If you can data log should help to verify your butt dyno. Watch for increases in load and air flow. Make a few different logs at the same settings and average them. Should reduce the error factor of a single WOT log.

Quote:
would i just be screwing myself in the long run if i just took the stocks off and threw these on and tried adj them that way?
No.
You can run the gears in any location you want with no damage. [b]But it is the best idea to turn the engine clockwise by hand after major adjustments to make sure nothing's binding.

Quote:
with the 5 bolt design do you loosen them up move the gear then tighten them again?
Yes.
Loosen the 5 bolts, use the center bolt to move the cam gear and hold it in place if need be, tighten all 5 lock bolts, then go back over then a second time to make sure you tightened them.
The bolts don't need to be gorilla TQ'd. Nice and snug is all you need, best guess, about 20 ft/lbs.
Over-tightening them will result in stripping the threads. And FWIW, 2 bolts still holds the gear in place,,, ya, I've stripped a few