Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Low MPG on new 2012 Titanium Hatch
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #46
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra1969 View Post
Filled up before the trip and after at the same gas station. It was a speedway at was 87 octane. Not sure on the Ethanol level. Used this station a lot in the past. Had a 2011 Fiesta last year, even in town it got 30 to 32 worst driving conditions and 40 to 44 on highway. Drove that one like a go-cart. I treat this one a lot different trying to get The fuel mileage out of it. I have yet to see over 32 mpg. I even drove for a entire tank in country road condition the smoothest I could with as few stops as possibly and driving under the speed limit, and letting off early on the gas at stops and easy getting back it to it, and that was the one time I got 31.3 mpg. At 55mph in 6th gear the tach reads 2000 rpm, I assume this is ok. shifted into sport drive at speed to insure it was making it into 6th gear, and it was. Not sure what to think now. This road trip has really got me thinking I made a bad decision on trading in the fiesta for this focus even though the window sticker says they both should get around the same gas millage. I expected a little drop due to engine size and car weight, but his is a lot more then I thought.
No, it should be better. I am not driving my new SE very 'easy' and through the city to work in stop and go 26.5 miles each way I just filled up this morning with my second tank of fuel and I am getting 32.5 MPG. My trip average MPG was showing 33.0 when I filled up so it was close. I shouldn't be getting better mileage in the city than you do on country roads.