Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Points 744, Level 14
Points: 744, Level: 14 Points: 744, Level: 14 Points: 744, Level: 14
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I did more on-line research and am seriously considering getting one of these.

A couple of points not mentioned here:

They have a lifetime warranty - even including warranting the engine from damage caused by failure of the valve.

These are really only good if you are the ONLY one who changes your oil and you ALWAYS change the oil yourself. Most professional oil change shops will have never heard of it and you would have to show them how to work it.

On another forum, a member mentioned that he drained his oil with one and afterward removed the Fumoto valve and only a little bit of oil drained out - so there is not that much oil left in the pan (at least compared to what would be normally).

Someone on another from thought they were an American company as the website used to be fomotousa.com - but I think they are Japanese, and the website name implies to me they are NOT American.

I use a magnetic pilot point drain plug to pull shavings out of the oil and keep them out of the engine, and you lose that feature, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes anyway.

There are two competing products, but I think the Fomoto is better than either one - but I don't know of anyone selling the Fomoto locally:

Fram used to sell a product called Sure Drain (that I HAD seen locally and was getting confused with this). The sure drain uses a flush (thin, not toilet) valve and then a special hose that depresses the seat in the valve and allows the oil to flow through the hose, but Fram has discontinued it. The issue I see with it would be misplacing the hose and having to store a hose with used oil until the next oil change.

Dorman sells a product called EZ-Drain - where there is a knurled cap that you push in and rotate 1/4-turn and the oil drains through the cap. Sounds good in theory, but Amazon reviews mention lots of leaks - and you can't attach a hose to it to direct the oil where you want it.

I've also seen a product with a knurled cap on a lanyard - but the only advantages there are not needing a wrench and not dropping the cap into the hot oil.

Overall, the Fumoto looks like a very good option to me!!!