Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - why no 6th gear?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #60
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
Not sure where to start.First the Focus I bought didn't had a transmission problem.The transmission was smooth.The dealership replaced it because THEY thought it was the source of a vibration at highway speeds.The "new" transmission had all the bells ,whistle,vibration and shuttering that most people of this forum complains about.From reading your comment ,I'm apparently the only one here who had transmissions issue.The only reason I could consider myself unique ,is because the problems started when Ford authaurised the dealership to replace it for nothing ,when my problem was simply bad wheel bearings!So,for a problem that should have been fixed in a few short hours and under 300$,Ford spent 5300$ and screwed with it for 5 months.
My last comment was NOT about the reliability or the working of Mazda's and Dodge's transmissions ,but about the choices they give customers.

Before jumping on me ,you should maybe some of the hundreds of horror stories on this forum.Most are worst than mine.I was lucky not to stall on a busy highway or intersection.Only a few times they car into neutral on Sport mode.If you don't like bad experiences ,you should stick with the "happy" theads.
Your dealership was incompotent if they decided that faulty wheel bearing noises were coming from the gearbox.

The majority of real issues with the gearbox seem to be due to either a malfunction of the mechatronic unit that controls the shifting, or there may be an oil leak from a gearbox seal that is coating the clutches in oil.

Problems such as the car holding the higher gear are one I generally have not experienced, but that is inherent with all automatic transmissions trying to get better fuel economy. If anything mine is quite responsive. I may have the opposite problem which isn't really a problem at all, in that after coasting down the car always shifts down to the next lower gear at 1100 rpm or so and is therefore quite eager to hold the current gear and rev with any prod on the throttle (not wot, and not necessarily under light throttle).

Other issues such as not being prepared for a slight roll back on a hill because the driver either failed to put the brake down hard enough to engage the hill start assist, or they waited more than two or three seconds to apply the gas is generally an operator fault rather than one of the car.

I don't understand how people manage to almost stall the car in the middle of an intersection, but perhaps their cars were broken. However thats a small percentage of all the vehicles produced so far. Its also only in North America that there is this kind of complaints about the gearbox. Our Austrailan Friends with the 2.0 L GDI engine and the same transmission coming from mexico do not have these issues, nor do models in other markets, its only here in the U.S./CAN./MEX. where people are used to the torque converter and "wafting" away without a care in the world until it just abruptly fails from lack of maintanance.