Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - why no 6th gear?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #58
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
SkyActiv is still a traditional automatic transmission modified with a weaker torque converter and a larger lock up clutch. It also suffers from a shudder issue and can be even more ill-tempered than the DCT in the Focus as it combines the feeling of a lossy torque converter with a wet torque converter lock up clutch just as in a normal automatic, but one that's a lot more aggressive.

What problems with the DCT in the fiesta? As far as I know the only issues that cropped up were as a result of a ground bracket being painted when it shouldn't have been and improper contact being made.

The Dart uses a Hyundai engine and transmission as a base (The GEMA engine technically is assembled by chrysler now but it was primarily developed by Hyundai, and is mated to the torque converter automatic from the Elantra). The 1.4L Fiat engine uses essentially a similar if not identical DCT as its optional automatic, but its programmed to slush a lot more and therefore will likely have an even shorter service life than the transmission you love to trash.
Not sure where to start.First the Focus I bought didn't had a transmission problem.The transmission was smooth.The dealership replaced it because THEY thought it was the source of a vibration at highway speeds.The "new" transmission had all the bells ,whistle,vibration and shuttering that most people of this forum complains about.From reading your comment ,I'm apparently the only one here who had transmissions issue.The only reason I could consider myself unique ,is because the problems started when Ford authaurised the dealership to replace it for nothing ,when my problem was simply bad wheel bearings!So,for a problem that should have been fixed in a few short hours and under 300$,Ford spent 5300$ and screwed with it for 5 months.
My last comment was NOT about the reliability or the working of Mazda's and Dodge's transmissions ,but about the choices they give customers.

Before jumping on me ,you should maybe some of the hundreds of horror stories on this forum.Most are worst than mine.I was lucky not to stall on a busy highway or intersection.Only a few times the car fell into neutral on Sport mode.If you don't like bad experiences ,you should stick with the "happy" theads.