Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
#2 Lack of power comming out of a left or right turn.IE: You get to a green light and you take the 90 degree turn in motion and comming out of the turn, you dont get any power back when you press on hte gaz pedal. Symptoms: You get the same symptoms as #1.
This is one of the few issues that others describe regarding the DCT that I've experienced myself, although I don't think I've experienced it with the same severity as others describe. The car is, however, a bit sluggish coming out of a turn that doesn't involve a complete stop.

Looking at the service manual, in the description and operation for the DCT, it says that one of the inputs the TCM receives to determine shift points is:

Steering angle from the steering wheel rotation sensor via the HS-CAN databus in order to avoid upshifts and downshifts during cornering

It doesn't go into detail about how this input is used, but if I'm interpreting it correctly the implication is that if I enter a 90 degree right turn decelerating (but not stopping) and the transmission has downshifted to, lets say, third gear, by the time I turn it will still be in third gear when I come out of the turn. Regardless of my actual velocity, apparently, until the steering sensor returns to some point that is not considered by the TCM to be 'in a turn'.

Since reading this a few weeks ago, I've been delaying acceleration until I come out of the turn and have not really noticed the sluggishness and abrupt downshifts that I was having before. Of course, that means making different 'go/no go' decisions when turning to avoid getting run over by oncoming traffic.

In summary, I wonder how much of this particular issue is due to design rather than an actual defect with the transmission.