Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - why no 6th gear?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #56
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To clearly answer the question of the thread:"Why no 6th gear?" I think it's obvious that the answer was that Ford wanted to put all his eggs in one basket with the DCT.While the horror stories with the Fiesta with the same tranny should have been a big red flag.Ford went a head offering mostly the DCT instead of having more manual transmissions available ,or even a conventionnal automatic as a "plan B".Last year it didn't took long for sh.. to hit the fan.And when the bad reputation of the powershift spread and the demand for manual transmission grew, Ford was pretty much caught off guard even if all the red flags were there.

Did other manufacturers notices?Sure they did.When Mazda released the "Skyactive" powertrains,they still offered the old engine and transmissions to customers who didn,t trusted the new technology.Dodge,with the Dart ,offers a choice of 3 engines and three 6 speed transmissions(manual,Conventional auto and DCT).Got to admit that I wouldn't touch a Dodge with a 50ft pole and even less one with a DCT,but knowing you got a choice of two other transmissions and engines does make the car more attractive.

In 2014 or 2015 ,the Ford DCT should be more reliable and a 6 speed should be available,but will people who had bad and very bad experiences and those who were turned off by the lack of powertrain choices be back to give Ford another try?That ,only the future will know.