Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT Complaints Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #67
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsimons View Post
I'm sorry but implying that a 6-speed transmission is more efficient than a 4-speed because it has "2 more speeds" is uninformed. If they were the same, you would easily see that the DCT is more efficient than the torque converter because the DCT isn't wasting energy moving a bunch of transmission fluid around.
I think it's patently obvious that a modern 6 speed auto is going to have lower high gear ratios than a 4 speed, so making the above statement is kind of condescending to the quoted poster.

Also, talking about how much more 'efficient' the DCT equipped Focus is, mileage wise, is also just tech talk. It's not proven in the real world as indicated by roughly 357 cars on fuelly, averaging 31.5 MPG with it's 'super efficient' transmission compared to the widely mocked 4 speed 'slush box' cars.

Even the lowly Corolla with it's 4 speed, cave-man like, antiquated 'slush box' that sucks ... gets exactly the same mileage as the Focus in the real world. So it's the 'package' ... the whole vehicle ... that matters for fuel efficiency ... we don't drive transmissions ... we drive cars. Granted ... the Focus is far more fun to drive than a Corolla, and it's faster, but it's no more efficient overall than 15 year old bulletproof, trouble free technology that 'sucks'.

If the Focus DCT is as efficient as it is because of it's DCT ... I'd hate to see what it would get with a 6 speed 'suck' auto ....

REV