Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT Complaints Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #61
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit293 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Are torque converters much less efficient than dry DCMs? Even if that may be true in principle, I hardly think the Focus's DCM mileage performance is superior enough that we could thumb our noses at traditional automatics. Perhaps future DCMs will mop the floor with ordinary autos, but right now the Focus holds its own but that's about it.
Not only are torque converter equipped boxes less efficient, they are also poor performance options.

Even ZFs rather good 8 speed automatics pale in comparison to VWs 6 speed DSG or Fords 6 speed DCT, to say NOTHING about Audis, BMWs and Porsches 7 speed DCTs.

We can thumb our noses at torque converter autos because in any imaginable way they suck. Badly. They always have. With the obvious exception of the gearboxes fitted to cars like the 760i or A8...

In the future?

DCT boxes have been wiping the floor with automatics for years, the GTI has had one for a while and VW is a pioneer in bringing it to the masses. BMW has tackled the single clutch solution since the E46 M3 and E60 M5, same with Audi and their R tronic. Even the SMGs, once you got around the fact that even like the DCTs they sucked at low speed, would put a automatic to shame.

Slushboxes are the reason EVERYBODY who cares about performance thinks that they suck, and they aren't far from the truth.

DCTs and to an extend SMGs before them are nothing like automatics. They don't have that parasitic suck. They don't sap any power, they don't spoil the transfer of power.

If such gearbox solutions are good enough for supercars, high end makes and race teams I think the technology is good enough for us.

You'll notice that racing series like ALMS and FIA ACO never used automatics in their cars. They either had manuals or single clutch sequentials. Even now a majority of your endurance spec cars have switched over to some form of SMG/DCT unit, F1 went sequential as well. Because these kinds of gearboxes are track proven to be better and in the case of cars like the GTI are road proven to be better.

If you like the inherent suck of a slushbox, by all means spoil the car by picking one.

But if the choice came between an underpowered car with a DCT or a more powerful one with a auto, I'm picking the DCT because the auto sucks the life out of that car whereas the DCT works harder to make the most of it.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!