iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda423 View Post
Cam Gears do improve power even with stock cams. If you've upgraded the intake and exhaust you will get even more power. But you have to do it right and have a dyno tune. So this should probably not be done til you've got all the other basic bolt ons.

If I remember correctly the zetec works best with 0 degree adjustment on the Exhaust Cam and almost -5 degrees on the Intake Cam.

Please quite posting that engine picture with every post you make.

Cam degrees/bold text - Vs what?

All and I really mean all of the dyno's, literature and talks about what cam time makes the best power or move what to where are purely opinion.
It's well known that mechanical variance from the factory can result in cam timing being off slightly from the factory. And to illustrate what kind of tolerances I'm talking:

Crankshaft Degree - Piston Movement in Inches
1 ....................... 0.000349"
2 ....................... 0.001396"
3 ....................... 0.003141"
4 ....................... 0.005582"
5 ....................... 0.008719"

Now keep in mind that 1 crankshaft degree is equal to 1/2 a camshaft degree. Or in other words, on an assembled engine if the cam timing is off 2 it will result in the piston being 0.000349" off where it should be.
The numbers make it look trivial but when at speed everything matters. Variances are compounded as piston speed changes throughout the stroke.

What I am saying is that W/O there being a set standard for factory timing alignment there is no way to advise someone on what is best practice for cam timing.
Now if we had factory cam gears that had pins locking the cam gears in place we could say '+2 intake and -3 exhaust will make more power above 4,000 rpm'.