Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford Focus 2001 - OBD2 / Auto Transmission Question
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Insomniak
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76291
What I Drive: 2001 Focus 1.6 Zetec Automatic

FF Reputation: 1 Insomniak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Focus 2001 - OBD2 / Auto Transmission Question

Hi, I'm based in the UK and my 2001 1.6 Focus Automatic has a serious automatic transmission problem, It feels like the car pulls away in either 2nd or 3rd gear and then doesn't change gear. Due to this the pull away is a bit sluggish and there isn't any kickdown if you floor the accelerator.

I have a cheap OBD2 reader that I got from eBay it does read & connect with the car but doesn't give any codes. The engine management light is NOT on, however I have since discovered that auto focus's have an automatic transmission warning light that is shared with the coolant warning light, this is also not on however I am suspecting the bulb could have been removed as when I do the "bulb test" this doesn't light up but the MIL and most others do!

I am hoping its a transmission solenoid, but wanted to know if there is any software & obd2 connector I can get relatively cheap that can talk to the gearbox / transmission ecu? or is this likely to be a Ford dealer only diagnostic and therefore cost me silly money?

If I can't get it sorted I'll probably have to get it scrapped as simply cannot afford to pay for any repairs by a garage.

Any help would be great.