MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
In support of those with issues, take a look at all complaints received by the NHTSA. Each brand and model should have equal chance of being complained about there. Take a look at all the powertrain complaints for the Focus. It's more than most other cars' total complaints, and is a far greater percentage of total complaints than any other car at more than a third.

Looking through the actual powertrain complaints, I count roughly 70% of them specifically mention the typical DCT complaints you hear about on here; shuddering, bucking, lunging, poor shift quality, engine bogging down in turns, etc.

I ignored complaints about hill roll back since I'm on the side of that not being a case of poor implementation on Ford's part. It is what it is.

I noted the cars that were in their first model year for more direct comparison.

Notice the Veloster, also with a DCT, has negligible powertrain complaints.

Complaints
Total Powertrain
2011 Jetta 164 19 1MY
2012 Focus 153 56 1MY
2011 Cruze 143 30 1MY
2010 Mazda3 93 13 1MY
2012 Civic 58 13 1MY
2012 Cruze 55 9
2011 Elantra 40 3 1MY
2012 Jetta 40 5
2012 Veloster 40 3 1MY
2012 Elantra 33 5
2012 Mazda3 10 3 1MY w/ Skyactive

Sorry, formatting wasn't the same as when i was writing the post. The first number after each model name is total complaints and the second number is complaints specifically about the powertrain which of course includes the transmission.
You can correct me if I am wrong however, but the Veloster and the Focus are the only ones with the DCTs, not sure if the Jetta can be had with the DSG; I believe it only has the Tiptronic sport mode in the regular autobox

And for a lot of people the nuances of the DCT are not explained and for pretty much 99% of us on this forum this would probably be your first encounter with a SMG/DCT type transmission.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!