Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT Complaints Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #30
jagreene
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102678
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jagreene Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I would have to wonder how its possible on a transmission with a 150k service interval that you managed to need a new twin disk clutch pack in less than 12k miles. That was a service life of 8% of the initial estimate provided. With my old car which was a normal manual transmission with 191k miles on it when I bought it and unknown wear on the clutch (it had grabbed good from day one until after I stopped driving it for my new Focus), I had put over 44000 miles on it under all sorts of driving conditions including heavy stop and go traffic and I never needed to replace the clutch. I was considering it as a precaution since the state was unknown, but I got rid of the car before it was necessary.

If a computer is shifting the gearbox and the programming was correct it would have a far smaller chance of constantly slipping the clutch or grinding gears than a human would. However that being said one can't discount the possibility of it being a badly built unit, or perhaps there was a leaky seal in the gearbox that finally destroyed the clutch pack. Oil will kill the clutch disks easily.

You say you were frightened by a "roll back" which is a characteristic of all manual transmissions when you don't give it enough throttle to over come gravity and it rolls backwards briefly before moving forward. That should not have been a surprise had the dealer informed you truthfully that the automatic in this car was different from the one in your last car, but alas most are just interested in the sale no matter what.

Do you have a tendency to either left foot brake or creep up hills at 1-2 mph a lot? Those may cause issues with the car.

At the end of the day there are many factors which influence the service life of components, from build tolerances to how they are used.

It would be annoying if not frustrating however if your concerns were being ignored/ falling on deaf ears. Its a good thing they are going to repair it under warranty if it was due to the car itself, but if its environmental then it may re-appear within 12000 miles.
Well, I agree with you. I don't creep up hills at all I charge them! Again, I don't have all the information to understand how cars work as I have never tried before... but I am learning more and more as my problems go on with this car. What I can tell you is the transmission tech told me my car was shifting wrong all the time, as did my third party mechanic. I drove the car perfectly fine for almost a year... to be honest my problems didn't really start til right around or right after the first TSB was performed.

And yes, I was frightened on the roll back the first time, because I didn't know the car would do that. I was just told it was a fancy automatic that got me better gas mileage. I did read a little bit about it back then, but everyone just said it was cutting edge technology, praise this praise that. As for the rolling back after I realized it... it wasn't that big of a deal. I knew what to look out for and I could handle it. I never even really cared about that to be honest.

But... then the noise started. Then the loss in acceleration, the shaking (and I'm not talking about the normal shaking...), the jutting forward... It was all happening without me doing a damn thing! I tried driving it more aggressively... that did nothing. I even noticed my gas mileage while driving the same roads began to decline. (Coincidence? I don't know to be honest). So I began to tell the dealer. They ignored my complaints said it was all normal... and thus my story goes on. It got worse and worse and worse. Driver error? I thought so at first too... so i had my family mechanic drive it and even the tech guy at my dealer. They had the same problems I did and couldn't stop them.

So... I'm not sure what happened. But I agree with you. I don't think replacing the clutch will do a damn thing if the computer isn't shifting properly. They haven't updated me on this issue yet... The clutch pack is supposed to come in today. Time will tell.