suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagreene View Post
So you're complaining about people writing on unrelated threads.... I get that. But you took the time to write on my thread that has the word "problems" in the title about how I shouldn't share my story in a new thread of my own. I think it's safe to assume people who don't always use this forum would figure a new thread would be seen by people and an old thread wouldn't. Plus who wants to sift through 99 pages of all sorts of different conversations when they can start their own? I don't see you complaining about the people who write new "my Sync doesn't work" threads. There are plenty of those.

Almost everyone who has posted on this thread is LUCKY enough to have their BIGGEST problem be that it's annoying to hear about the DCT issues. Just be happy that you don't have any. I mean it's not easy for some of us to get help, and this forum has helped a lot of people get somewhere. So if you are so happy with your car and don't want to know anymore about the real transmission problems how about this? DON'T READ ANY threads that say anything about "problems" "transmissions" etc... and you won't have to be annoyed.

It's so disheartening that you take it to a nasty level. You can say what you want... but my car DOES have a problem and the clutch IS being replaced after one year of ownership and only 12k miles. So seriously, have respect for people and some compassion... jeez.
I would have to wonder how its possible on a transmission with a 150k service interval that you managed to need a new twin disk clutch pack in less than 12k miles. That was a service life of 8% of the initial estimate provided. With my old car which was a normal manual transmission with 191k miles on it when I bought it and unknown wear on the clutch (it had grabbed good from day one until after I stopped driving it for my new Focus), I had put over 44000 miles on it under all sorts of driving conditions including heavy stop and go traffic and I never needed to replace the clutch. I was considering it as a precaution since the state was unknown, but I got rid of the car before it was necessary.

If a computer is shifting the gearbox and the programming was correct it would have a far smaller chance of constantly slipping the clutch or grinding gears than a human would. However that being said one can't discount the possibility of it being a badly built unit, or perhaps there was a leaky seal in the gearbox that finally destroyed the clutch pack. Oil will kill the clutch disks easily.

You say you were frightened by a "roll back" which is a characteristic of all manual transmissions when you don't give it enough throttle to over come gravity and it rolls backwards briefly before moving forward. That should not have been a surprise had the dealer informed you truthfully that the automatic in this car was different from the one in your last car, but alas most are just interested in the sale no matter what.

Do you have a tendency to either left foot brake or creep up hills at 1-2 mph a lot? Those may cause issues with the car.

Yes I understand that Ford sells the car as an automatic and its your assumption that you should just drive it like any other car and not have any issues. I understand that its likely due to faulty mechanical components rather than driver error in many cases. I would just like to know how it was possible for a computer to be wrong so many times in 12000 miles that it would do more damage than even a moderately skilled driver with a normal clutch pedal/ normal manual gearbox.

At the end of the day there are many factors which influence the service life of components, from build tolerances to how they are used.

It would be annoying if not frustrating however if your concerns were being ignored/ falling on deaf ears. Its a good thing they are going to repair it under warranty if it was due to the car itself, but if its environmental then it may re-appear within 12000 miles.