cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit293 View Post
I think that's being a bit harsh. Let's be honest here: to most people, there are automatics and there are manuals. Heck, I'd bet that many people don't even really understand what a transmission even does, let alone relatively new tech like a DCT. Does that mean that they shouldn't drive cars? It's not as if Ford draws particular attention to the different characteristics of a DCT when selling the car to you.

As for myself, I intentionally testdrove the DCT having read various consumer reviews complaining about the transmission. During the testdrive, I decided up front that I could live with the quirks. It's only been a few weeks, but so far I'm generally fine with its behavior.

I tend to notice the hesitation much more in reverse. That will take some getting used to. Also, the car seems to idle a bit roughly. Not sure if that is a tranny or just plain engine issue.
I would have to agree with both of you. Yes, one should research what they are going to purchase before buying it, and, as such, should know about the product and its pitfalls.
On the other hand, the focus is a mass market not-too-expensive car and ford DOES advertise it as an automatic. Folks who are not 'car people' will just assume it's a reg slush box.

Should they have researched it? yes. But then ford should not be touting this as an automatic. It should be advertised as a DCT and the word 'automatic' should be left out. That will eliminate much confusion.