View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When we bought our first Focus a year ago, I'd done a considerable amount of research on the car in general and the DCT in particular including a lot of time reading the threads that were active here on the subject at the time. Our salesman went to great lengths to explain the DCT and and during out 30 mile test drive spent about ten minutes going over specific differences from a normal automatic. Then, when we went back last April to buy our second Focus, he gave me the same speech word for word.

Not everyone has the time to invest in the research or the car experience to understand it if they did. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a salesman who is as technically sharp and as concerned about the customer being happy as we did. More importantly, not everyone cares about the differences until something goes wrong. Then they come here.

While we've been fortunate not to experience any problems with our DCTs, that doesn't mean that there aren't people whose transmissions have real problems. That much should be clear to anyone who has been here for any length of time. Ford knows this and continues to work on the issues. They've got too much invested in the DCT not to.

The people who have problems need a place to go to bring up their issues rather than starting a thousand new threads about it. If we have one place for them to do so, it's more likely Ford won't miss seeing it.

I think the idea of this thread, and having it as a sticky, are good ones. If I were to change anything about it, I would have named it:

"The Focus Automatic Transmission (DCT) Problem/Complaint/Issue/Question/Update Thread"

That way nobody could miss it.