Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - pop/clunk when starting from a stop
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
AliasJerk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52711
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow FSVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 AliasJerk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
pop/clunk when starting from a stop

2003 SVT, just passed 100k.

I have been battling this issue for the past few thousand miles, it is sort of weird how the car responds to the things I have tried. When starting from a stand still as soon as I start to let the clutch out and the car starts to roll I get a "pop" or a "clack" noise from what feels like the drivers side front, sometimes the passenger side but not as often.

I have also noticed that at lower speeds over rougher roads I get these same noises while holding speed, be it in gear or in neutral, tends to be louder if I am making a right hand turn.

Here is what I have done...

new dogbone, new driver side trans mount, both are straight from Ford. I have new SVT Struts/shocks, new Motorcraft strut mounts, new Roush springs, new Moog sway bar endlinks, driver side inner tie rod was replaced about 2 years ago. I have checked both the inner and outer tie rods and can't feel any play in them. I also just had both front axles replaced due to having ripped CV joint boots.

When I remove the sway bar links and drive sway-bar-less in the front, the noise still persists just as loud. When I am up at cruising speed the noise is entirely gone over any kind of bump. Recently I also started getting a shake up front over 70 miles an hour.

My thought is the control arms are causing this issue, I just was looking for some reassurance before I go and order new control arms and have it not be the issue. Also, I checked rock auto for control arms and there are quite a few options as far as makes, Dorman seems to be the cheapest but I have had poor experiences with their control arms in the past on another car I have owned. I am looking at doing the MOOG control arms, if anybody has used them I would also appreciate if anybody could share their experience with how reliable they are.

Thanks for any help guys!