VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit293 View Post
No offense, but this seems like a rather bizarre statement-- perhaps a bit too apologetic to the Focus. The Focus was absolutely designed for urban life, and that should include proper mileage as well. Just about all cars can achieve decent highway mileage-- even a lot of muscle cars with large displacement. The ability to deliver efficient performance in city driving is the true test of a car's mileage-- a small car like the Focus should absolutely be expected to deliver fairly good city mileage.

Also, I'm not sure why you are comparing to hybrid cars. The proper comparison should be to the real-life MPG of its gas rivals: Mazda3, Golf, Impreza, Civic, etc. I haven't done the research on these cars real MPG, so I actually have no idea.

For the record, I've only owned my SEL hatch for about two weeks, so I haven't really gotten a good handle on its mileage. So far, the trip computer has appeared to have settled on a bit under 25 mpg, in fairly lousy city driving conditions. This is a little disappointing to me, but not outrageously so, and it's still quite a few ticks better than my old car.

Cheers.
Maybe I said it wrong or someone got it wrong. I didn't "bash" Ford Focus, only responded @ricomtl comments. And I spoke from my experience in the same conditions of driving as ricomtl => downtown Montreal driving. Where you have lots of stop-and-go, red stops and intermitent stuck-in-traffic. And yes, in these conditions, our FF is not as good as it is rated. Mazda 3, Golf, Civic and Impreza are not better and I didn't feel like mentioning them. I only stated that a hybrid car would be best in the conditions of Montreal downtown driving. Nothing more, nothing less.
A lot of people post great MPG in "city driving", but I am sure their driving is almost as fluent as on highway driving but with lesser speed. Do a test for yourself: fill up your tank, reset the mpg and get in a 30 minutes stop-and-go traffic with no more than 15 mph speed and no more then 300 yards between stops. Add some idle minutes at red stops, then come back and post your mpg - photo if possible. I bet it will not be 30 mpg, not even 25 mpg. Mine shows in these conditions even less.
Thank's God there is some highway / fluent traffic so that my mpg go up to a 28.8 mpg average since I own this car. Which I love and find it being the best for me !

---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.