Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103090
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 gambit293 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Don't be.
One thing to understand though is the following : the Focus is not a city driving car (mpg perspective). It doesn't like short distances and slow stop and go traffic either. If you do 100% city driving stuck in traffic and no more than 6000 km per year, you better go for a hybrid or an electric car. A bicycle would be best and rent a car on week ends. IMO.
No offense, but this seems like a rather bizarre statement-- perhaps a bit too apologetic to the Focus. The Focus was absolutely designed for urban life, and that should include proper mileage as well. Just about all cars can achieve decent highway mileage-- even a lot of muscle cars with large displacement. The ability to deliver efficient performance in city driving is the true test of a car's mileage-- a small car like the Focus should absolutely be expected to deliver fairly good city mileage.

Also, I'm not sure why you are comparing to hybrid cars. The proper comparison should be to the real-life MPG of its gas rivals: Mazda3, Golf, Impreza, Civic, etc. I haven't done the research on these cars real MPG, so I actually have no idea.

For the record, I've only owned my SEL hatch for about two weeks, so I haven't really gotten a good handle on its mileage. So far, the trip computer has appeared to have settled on a bit under 25 mpg, in fairly lousy city driving conditions. This is a little disappointing to me, but not outrageously so, and it's still quite a few ticks better than my old car.

Cheers.