6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I have a 2012 Focus, approx 17,500 miles on it. From the very 1st day it had a shudder on acceleration from a stop not to bad and seemd to get better after about 7000-8000 miles.
I took it in for the recall (updated programming for the engine/transmission/abs.) Since that time the shudder has gotten worse. It is now a violent shake on accellreation especially in stop/go traffic. Just got back from the dealer where I spoke to the shop foreman who basically told me that my concern was normal operation for this transmission and was handed a copy of a letter that went out to all Ford/Lincoln dealer about the operating characteristics of the EFC00562DC PowerShift transmission. I've been a automotive technician for over 30yrs and an ASE Master Tech for 25 of those years. I don't consider this violent operation of the transmission to be normal. He also told me that it may take awhile for the Powertrain and Transmission controllers to relearn the adaptives. I have full understanding of what adaptives are and mind you it's been 2000 miles since the updates were performed. Maybe my vehicle has a learning disabilty. I agreed to drive the vehicle for a longer period of time to see if it gets any better. I truely hope that Ford comes up with a fix for this concern (IE: the correct programming) before this turns in to a Lemon Law case, because other than that we do really like this car.
I spoke to my Ford tech about the shudder, which I only notice when giving the car gas on a slope. First, I can say that when we had the software updated last December, we had no shudder whatsoever - never. When we had the FSA applied, the shudder started. We are used to it so it is only a mild annoyance and not a big deal. I asked my tech what changed with the FSA update. He told me that they only added code to handle the car's tendency to roll backward when sitting on an up hill slope. Many customers apparently complained about the car rolling back so they reworked the sw to handle braking when stopped on a hill. The way he explained it, the brake and the accelerator are competing with one another on a slope; hence the jerking.

Like I said, we're used to it so no big deal. However, he did add that he expects there will be some future refinement to address the shudder caused by the brake and throttle/clutch competing.

Maybe this helps. Our Focus has 15,000+ miles on it.