Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Car Payments While In School?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #23
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFocus View Post
I think that seems to be the plan of action. and my payments are only 373 a month, so it really shouldnt be tooo bad to afford that, especially where I'm only going to be in school for a year!
Well I REALLY wanted to type this on the computer but the internet is down and my hotspot won't work, so phone it is.

Don't go for only one year. just don't. A certificate of completion is pretty much useless. Also note that financial aid may not be awarded for certification classes. (my school would not allow it, and it may be a federal thing).

Either one is a good choice. personally I couldn't be sitting at a desk all day and quite a few more people are getting their degrees in computer science which means a hell of a lot more competition.

Being that you work for Ford, go talk to the hiring manager over in service and see what he/she expects from a new graduate. If you go the automotive route, you may have the advantage because you already have or can start to make some connections within the company.

Keep in mind... cost of books (avoid the bookstore if possibe. amazon or banes and noble's nook study (ebooks) are a lot cheaper. The cost of tools really depends on what you are required to have and what you need for a job. Snap on offers a half off student program (SEP) on their tools which is pretty nice.

Now back to that financial aid thing... if you go for an associates degree at least and have more than 6 credit hours you may be eligible for a pell grant since you have been out of school for a few years.

Now on to working... it depends on your credit hours and work working with you on flexibility. oh and homework. personally I was not able to do this. I have had excessive credits every semester (19-23, Max is 18) tried working but fell behind. they claimed they would work with me but started giving me either no hours or almost forty... allowing no time for homework.

I've been lucky the past two years... worked my ass off every summer with two jobs and was able to pay both years off out of pocket with room to buy car mods etc. this year I bought a car I could trust so I didn't have enough. managed a federal loan for $5k to pay for the year.

if you are curious, I'm about to get my degree in auto tech and finish up the year with a welding certificate.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics