Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - broken exhaust manifold stud
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
berndt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102080
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE

Points 534, Level 10
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 berndt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Unfortunately, none of them worked out for me. I can't get centered on the bolt to drill for the extractor, since the power steeering pump bracket is in the way. So I tried form an angle, anyway. I got the bolt (which broke well below the surface of the head) to move, maybe one turn, but then nothing.

Im not taking the head out, and im not taking the whole front of the engine off to get a square shot at the bolt.

I just put the new manifold on, minus that one bolt. Had no choice, really, wife needs the car to drive 60 miles to work.

I am due for a timing belt, and I may have a shop do that for me, I'll just have them look at that bolt too, maybe that have a magic tool for it, or can more easily try on of the suggestions above. I don't have the resources for some of those, like welding on a nut, or a gas torch, or whatever...

It sounds a little quieter, but I think most of that sounds is coming from that bolt that was already weakened.