Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1368
52wrench
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103664
What I Drive: 2012 white Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 52wrench Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
DCT shudder

Well it's nice to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I love the car except for the shudder on takeoff. I just got back from a 600+ mile trip on secondary roads and averaged 40.3 mpg, this was with two people, three scuba tanks and all my dive gear. I bought it in July '11 and it presently has 25000+ miles on it. No trouble up 'til now, they did the reprogram last time I had it in for an oil chg, about 4000 ago. It seems like the problem started then. Anyway, it does the shudder thing when taking off and going into 2nd. I've worked on cars all of my life and have done numerous clutch jobs, the clutch disc has to be either glazed or it has fluid on it from a leaky seal. It's temp related, the hotter the ambient, the bigger the problem. Used to be in the old days when you had a glazed disc you would do a few high RPM clutch dumps and it would remove the glazing and all would be good, can't do that with this one. Anyway I'm making an appt. I traded my '04 F350 CC 6.0 diesel for this, I don't have to tell you guys about the 6 OH! problems I'm sure. I will give Ford one more chance, if they don't take care of this it will be Toyo, Subaru, Nissan, Huyandi, etc. I will never give a cent to Obama motors and I will never buy a Chrysler. IMHO, Ford missed the boat on the DCT when they went with dry clutches, should have gone the multi-plate wet clutch route but they cost more. They are much smoother and don't have glazing probls. and only chatter if there is a mech. problem, ie. broken pressure plate, etc. Sorry for the long one.