Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - broken exhaust manifold stud
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OUCH!!! Well be thankful it has the exhaust in the front of the engine compartment. To do this properly you need to remove the cylinder head, but you might be able to do it improperly and get away with it using a couple of tricks.

1) If you can grab it with vise grips- great! Before I tried loosening it, I would apply heat via a propane torch. You won't have to apply much heat, and you don't want to because the aluminum will heat up faster than the steel bolt- which is what you want. You want the aluminum to expand, and the steel to expand as little as possible. Thankfully, those metals of do this without asking.

2) If you can't grab ahold of it, then get you a bolt extractor kit. Find the extractor that is about half the size of your bolt, drill the appropriate hole, test fit the extractor, then heat again before trying. The trick here is the hole. You must make sure that the hole you drill is as centered as possible on the bolt, and is as inline as possible with the bolt. That's the hard part. You might need a file to file down the rough edges of the bolt so you can get a bit to grab where you want it, or you can start with a smaller bit (highly recommended) to pilot the hole you need.

I agree, you probably didn't break it, but it's broke nonetheless, so there you go.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.